THIS IS NOT AN ADVERTISEMENT FOR 'THE VOICE'
It is the only non-sporting event that I use my TV for these days. Why? What is it about The Voice that pulls me in? I had one hour over the weekend to catch up with the new season, and with DVR, that means I can watch one 2-hour show in about half the time of watching it live. In that one hour, I laughed - I cried - I was amazed - I danced - I sang along - I was inspired - I empathized. That's a lot of emotion for only one hour. It's true that as a former music major and radio station employee, I have a deep love for music, but it's so much more than that. Let me articulate what it is about The Voice that brings me back again and again - life lessons!
- What you look like really doesn't matter much
- Some people are born with a gift that only needs to be nurtured
- Others can develop a gift with good teachers and a lot of hard work
- Some things really are worth taking a risk
- Everyone deserves at least a second chance
- If we listen to feedback from others, we can get better
- Great voices/people/things can come from really tiny people/places/beginnings
- You only fail if you don't ever try
- You are never too old to go after a dream
- You are never too young to go after a dream
- You can keep trying until you are tired of trying
- A little friendly competition never hurt anyone
- Kindness and humility are quiet, but speak volumes
- Being scared is nothing to be ashamed of
- Families that support and love each other are powerful
- Music touches us in places that written or spoken words cannot
- A kind, appreciative word spoken at the right time can save someone's day
I hope that you choose to use YOUR voice for good and understand the impact it has on others!!